Swimming your dogs is a great way for them to cool down on a hot summer day but it is also great exercise and not to mention a lot of fun. The following are some tips to make swimming with your pooch as fun and safe as possible.
- Practise first - make sure you practise swimming, in shallow water to ensure your dog can competently swim.
- Make sure they are trained and understand commands, particularly stop and come so they can say safe.
- Always supervise your dog.
- Know the water conditions of where you are swimming.
- Don’t let them go out to far from shore or too far away from you.
- Put your dog in a floatation device like an EzyDog Dog Floatation Device to provide extra safety by keeping your dog buoyant.
- Apply sunscreen, especially to thin coated and light coloured skin dogs.
- Try and keep your dogs from drinking the water they are swimming in as it might make them sick.
- Offer plenty of fresh water to drink.
- Rinse or wash them after swimming to remove any salt, minerals or debri.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat stroke just in case your dog falls victim while out for a swim.
Originally published in My Pet Magazine Summer 2014-2015
To view all issues of My Pet Magazine click here.