Everyone likes to spoil their equine friend from time to time but there are some things that are ok as a treat and some things they really shouldn’t eat. Here is a list of good and bad treats to keep in mind the next time you are spoiling your horse.
- Small pieces or slices of fruit and vegetables like apples, carrots, bananas, strawberries, pitted dates and raisins.
- Sugar cubes or peppermint candies, not a healthy choice but a couple occasionally is ok.
- Hay/lucerne cubes.
- There are a number of commercially produced horse treats created with the horse’s nutritional needs in mind while being tasty and appealing for them.
- Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and kale can cause severe intestinal gas.
- Potatoes and tomatoes may cause toxicity.
- Unpitted stone fruits; the pits could be choked on.
- Lawn clippings can contain parts of toxic weeds or plants, change the pH of the gut., could cause choke.
- Fresh bread or doughy items can cause a blockage.
- Chocolate – some horses like chocolate, one piece wouldn’t hurt them although it can cause them to return a positive drug test.
- Keep in mind that treats are not for all the time and should be fed in small amounts and only occasionally.
Originally published in My Pet Magazine Issue 14.
To view all issues of My Pet Magazine click here.